I won’t lie, I had no idea what this show was before watching it. I didn’t read a single summary online nor did I pay attention to any reviews. But wow, I sure wish I had lol. What intrigued me the most about the EN of love series is that these were all actors that I had never seen before (or at least, I just didn’t recognize them), and that this was a three-part series of four episodes each, focusing on different couples. It was giving me HIStory vibes so I decided to give it a try.
Tossara is the first of three mini series to come out of En of Love. There really wasn’t much of a plot to be honest. It was just a short story of how two boys became a couple. And believe me when I tell you, it was sooooo bad lol! Okay, maybe not THAT bad, but it definitely wasn’t good.
Our two main characters are a freshman named Gun who is in the faculty of medicine and Bar who is a third year engineering student. Gun likes Bar and has had a crush on him ever since he was in seventh grade. Bar is clueless about this and barely even remembers Gun. He just remembers that Gun used to be really smart and slightly arrogant.
In this mini series, Bar loses his engineering gear and Gun finds it. He takes it upon himself to return it but only if Bar agrees to let Gun hit on him (in other words, flirt with him, court him, try to woo him lol). Bar doesn’t like that idea and rightfully so. What would you do if some guy you don’t even know tells you he won’t return your stuff unless you agree to let him court you? It’s weird.
But after much pressure from his friends, and fear of what his seniors will do to him if they find out his gear is missing, Bar reluctantly agrees. So, we follow them as Gun courts Bar and Bar quickly begins to like him back.
I don’t want to give any spoilers so here is a list of all the things I liked and didn’t like in no particular order.
What I didn’t like:
- This series was cringey to the max! And not in a good way omg. I was cringing so hard I was on the verge of getting a cramp.
- The series is too short. I feel like a show like this could have been much better had there been more episodes to develop the relationship between the characters. But since there were only 4 episodes, better actors and writers were needed to make a bigger impact.
- I had no idea how much time was passing between scenes and episodes. One day Gun is flirting with Bar and Bar is practically running away. The next day Bar is completely wooed and kissing Gun and they love each other now. Like….huh?
- The actor that played Gun was a bad actor. He was very stiff and dry and it was obvious that he does not have much experience acting. But we all have to start somewhere, I guess. The actor that played Bar was definitely a better actor but even he couldn’t save this show. It was still bad.
- I didn’t like Gun as a character. He was clingy and extra, over-the-top, and borderline creepy. I watched the whole series and honestly have no idea how Bar even fell for him. Gun was so freakin excessive and emotionally demanding.
- I did not really believe Gun and Bar’s feelings for each other. Like I said before, things just moved too fast and I don’t think this series had very good writers.
- The things I thought were cringey and obsessive, the characters in the show thought they were super romantic and cute, so it made me feel confused and conflicted. I tried to relax and take things the way the show was intending but I just couldn’t. In the end, I still didn’t really like the series.
- There was no real plot. This is just a brief story of how two boys got together and that’s it.
- Episode 3 was the absolute worst! I almost gave up on the series completely but I didn’t want to miss anything that might’ve tied in to the next mini series in En of Love. Turns out I could have quit because the different series aren’t really connected in story. The characters just know each other and share the same story universe.
- The kiss scene was done in the dark so the viewer can’t see anything. Normally this really annoys me. But I can’t even really complain about it because the series was so bad I honestly didn’t care about any intimacy between the characters. I already didn’t believe them.
What I did like:
- Bar. He saved what was left of this series because this series was a cringe fest heading toward a burning dumpster fire. But he wasn’t enough to make me like the series as a whole. He was just the better actor.
- There were cute moments but they mostly came from Bar. I can see the actor that plays Bar getting other acting projects and doing well. There were moments in the series where I did almost believe that Bar really liked Gun. But then Gun would ruin everything lol, or we would jump to another scene and I had no idea how much time had passed.
- Consent! This mini series was all about consent between the two main characters. Bar isn’t a lovey-dovey person and there were many things that he wasn’t comfortable with. So all throughout this series Gun made sure to ask before he ever did anything to or with Bar. And the few times that he didn’t, Bar made it known that he would like to be asked first and Gun did so without any attitude about it. We stan consent!
- Bar and Gun talked out their problems like civilized, healthy adults even when they got upset over childish reasons. No yelling, no name calling, no ignoring one another. After the initial upset, they talked it out and that really pleased me.
That’s about it, honestly. I only recommend watching this if you are bored and have absolutely nothing else to watch. It’s not worth actually being invested in. If you’re gonna watch it, watch it on Line TV because the subtitles on YouTube are really bad. I’m thankful for the people that actually try to make subtitles in other languages, but if the subs are so bad that the content can’t be understood, well then, there might as well be no subtitles because international viewers can’t understand either way lol.Follow me on the interwebs: